Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Tales from the road: An introduction to travel writing

As has probably been made fairly obvious by the slowdown in my blog postings over recent months, I've been keeping myself very busy with work (which is a blessing for a travel writer in today's economic climate!). Not only have I been continuing with my regular writing assignments for both Ninemsn and MSN NZ as well as organising my research trip for my next guidebook assignment in Ghana, I've also been working hard to break into several new markets, finally cracking The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age....But that's not all. I've also been secretly organising a new travel writing course for the Byron Bay Community College.

Following on from the feedback and queries I received after my guest lecture on travel writing at the University of Queensland in Brisbane, I decided to put my knowledge and skills to good use with a series of new workshops on travel writing. The first two-day course, Tales from the Road: An Introduction to Travel Writing, will be held in Mullumbimby on the Far North Coast of New South Wales, over the weekend of 1-2 August. The course itself will take a practical approach to travel writing, giving an overview of the market from writing for newspapers, magazines and on-line, to authoring guidebooks. Students will learn how to evoke a sense of place, how to dress up articles with photographs and how to approach an editor with the perfect pitch.

Date: 1-2 August
Time: 10am - 4pm
Cost: $120 Full Fee; $108 Concession

If you happen to be in the Byron Bay area around this time, I would love for you to come along!

Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy reading others thoughts on travel...

I like your blog...very interesting...

Lily Riani said...

I wish there is such course in Malaysia.... sigh...

I think it will be enriching and one will look at things in a diffrent perspective.

Natasha said...

:) Your pic makes me think of Cuba!

Freight Bob said...

When I was young I always wanted to be a Travel Writer.
I never became a writer but I have done the travelling.
Great blog!!!

----
Cardiff Freight